Wisconsin Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)

The Wisconsin Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) is a federal/state program designed to assist individuals with disabilities to obtain, maintain, or improve employment.  DVR is Wisconsin's primary provider of employment services to people with disabilities. DVR aims to empower individuals with disabilities to maximize their employment, economic self-sufficiency, independence, inclusion and integration into society through work.

DVR provides:

  • employment services and counseling to people with disabilities
  • or arranges for services to enable an individual to go to work
  • training and technical assistance to employers regarding disability employment issues

To receive services from DVR, you need to have a disability which is severe enough that you have problems getting or keeping a job. If a person has already been determined to have a disability through  the Social Security Administration, DVR presumes eligibility.

DVR can provide many different kinds of vocational rehabilitation services. The individual with a disability, the DVR counselor, and any other support people will decide the appropriate services. Examples of services include: vocational counseling, assistance with finding and keeping a job, assistive technology, training, and assistance with self-employment.

Applying for Services:

Find the DVR Office nearest to you.

Request application materials online.

Top 10 things you should know about DVR.

Client Assistance Program (CAP)

The Client Assistance Program (CAP) is established under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended) and is administered by the Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection.  CAP is not attached to the same department (Department of Workforce Development) as the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR).

Some services that are provided include:

  • CAP can provide information and assistance to individuals who have a dispute with DVR.
  • CAP will tell you if they feel your complaint can be resolved without an appeal and can assist you to negotiate or mediate an end to the dispute.
  • If you wish to handle an appeal yourself, CAP can tell you how the appeal process works and what you need to do.
  • CAP staff can advise you on how to word your appeal request whether you are doing the appeal yourself or with CAP's help.
  • CAP can represent you in an appeal if their review of the case shows that your complaint has merit.  If you want CAP to represent you, you should contact CAP before you file for an appeal.

More about CAP online
2811 Agriculture Drive
P.O. Box 8911
Madison, WI 53708-8911

Filed under: DVR, Job Searching, Resources, ,